I had a little bit of a problem with reading the Gullah dialect in the book. The first time through a sentence I would have to skim and see what words were recognizable and then figure it out from there. I have read some books that were written in a dialect and they did not seem as hard to read. Maybe I am just out of practice.
The goat gave him more independence of movement. He did not have to wait for someone else to pick him up. I think that he became a more efficient beggar so that he could get his "quota" and go home if he wanted or needed. I don't remember it mentioned that he slept as much while on the street after he got the goat.
Porgy is not a book that I will likely read again. I don't care for books that have such a depressing overall feel to them. I like at least a little bit of good news-uplifting at the end of sad books because then it seems worth the effort.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Great job - I know the dialect is difficult. After the play and musical were written, some of the early well known African - American performers felt it was insulting and beneath them to be asked to perform the roles onstage.
Post a Comment