Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Tales of Uncle Remus by Julius Lester

These stories were quick and easy to read, but I did not care for the book. I get perturbed when people or rabbits get ahead by using others and being lazy themselves. I understand these are just stories and that animals don't really talk to humans (I have not lost my grip on reality yet), but I still did not want Brer Rabbit to be a moocher. When I stand back and remember that these were stories told to slaves to help them survive (as mentioned in the Southern Writers Blog-Aug 2007) I see that they would be helpful. If a slave was trying to escape and survive on the run he/she would have to do whatever they could to survive. Maybe remembering the stories would give them ideas on how to get food or other necessities.

1 comment:

marfita said...

I've often had trouble with the Brer Rabbit stories. I find him to be a mean-spirited character and I relate much better to the stories that don't show that. But I don't have the slave/slaveowner system coloring the background of my family. It's not close enough to me (I can't escape it entirely because I do live in the US and the ramifications echo everywhere). I reckon that many people can relate to these stories because they grew up in the immediate results of that environment. Brer Rabbit tricks and hurts and steals from his oppressors. "That'd teach 'em," may be the reaction of some or "That's the way they are," of others and both groups would all nod. That just ain't the way I was done raised.
One of my favorite stories is of Brer Possum and the snake under the rock. Brer Rabbit has to save Brer Possum by tricking the snake back under the rock. I told this story to the women prisoners at Leath (prison) and they could all chant the moral Brer Rabbit laid on Brer Possum: Don't Trouble Trouble Till Trouble Troubles You.